Friday, November 8, 2013

My Thanksgiving Miracle


This year is my first year hosting Thanksgiving and I am super excited. Ever since we got married, I have whined to my husband that I will never have the chance to make a Thanksgiving or Christmas meal. Both sides of our families live nearby and we split our time between them every holiday. So, when my mom offered to let me host, I jumped at the chance. Only one problem though, our table seats only four, and even then, uncomfortably.  

We love the mid century modern style, however anything newly made in this style will cost a pretty penny. After searching and searching for a table that matched our style but also fit our dining room space, it started to look like we weren't going to find anything in time for Thanksgiving. I started seriously considering saw horses and boards.

That's when God gave us a Thanksgiving miracle! I found a lovely Broyhill Brasilia Walnut table at Mod Mid Century which sells great mid century pieces for reasonable prices. That same night, we searched on Craigslist to find the original chairs that were designed with the set back in 1962 and found a listing a month old that was selling 8 chairs (the exact amount I needed for Thanksgiving). It was a miracle that the chairs hadn't sold yet! We got such a good deal on the whole set ($740 total including a truck rental to pick up the items). We will need to get custom made leaves because the originals were lost at some point in the last 51 years and I want to reupholster the seat cushions because the color is too bland. But, it is perfect for us and in great condition.

I have given the table a good cleaning and am going to buy a walnut tinted oil to moisturize and tune up the wood. I couldn't be happier with our find and I can't wait to fill it with people for Thanksgiving.

I hope you love the set as much as I do! :)











Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment