Saturday, June 8, 2013

A Few Words on Accents


I don't know about anyone else, but, for me, accent pieces are the most difficult aspect about decorating. It isn't so much that I can't spot something that would look nice on a side table or on top of a shelf, it is the actually finding of the perfect piece. Believe it or not, I am a very picky person. I don't want to buy something to put on a table to later decide that I am donating it to Goodwill. I also have a really hard time paying thirty bucks for anything and most everything that is considered an "accent" starts at that price.

So, I have made most of my accent decor. However, within the last few weeks, I have been blessed with some really good steals and a few gifts from generous friends that I have just fallen in love with.

Here are a few tips:

1. Don't settle on something. Wait, create, or repurpose something that you will love and enjoy for a long time. This may take a while but it will be worth it in the long run.

2. Be smart about your purchases. Don't buy something new (a big glass vase or jar) that you can find at a thrift store.

3. Be thankful for the blessings that God has given you. God tends to bless you when you are least expecting it.

4. Don't be afraid to repurpose something. Just because it says garden or kitchen section, doesn't mean it won't be fantastic in your living room or dining room! Plus, you will probably get it cheaper if it isn't labeled "home decor". 

Meet Reginald (the little owl) and Arthur (the big owl). We found these ceramic statues in the garden section at Target. Reginald was actually on a metal rod for sticking into a pot. I took out the rod and he is now the perfect statue. Arther was $13 and Reginald was $3.59 (a GREAT deal, in my opinion).





Cool local artists took these photographs. They are sold on Etsy.










Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment