Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Holiday Adventures

As this was our second Christmas together, I thought that maybe the holidays would be simpler, quieter, easier, less stressful???...........NOPE!

Several changes to our family structures went into making a brand new, unique holiday season this year. First, my parents adopted two kiddos from Ukraine back in July. This was their first American Christmas and New Years. It was a blast spending time with my (now much larger and louder) family. My sister and I were put in charge of cooking dinner for Christmas Eve which was a huge adventure. We cooked a 10-pound roast beef, Irish Mashed Potatoes, Asparagus, Fresh Salad, Ambrosia (made with homemade cranberry sauce and freshly whipped cream, add some walnuts and voila!), rolls, gravy, and for dessert-Peppermint Ice Cream pie! Three hours of running around, cooking, and washing dishes. We spend Christmas Eve with my family and Christmas day with Andrew's family.

Secondly, Andrew's brother got married last year which added a new addition to the family as well.

Thirdly, Christmas fell on a Sunday this year. As some of you know, Andrew and I are hugely involved with our church. We lead the Greeting and Ushering team. So, we were up bright and early Christmas morning to make cinnimon rolls, little smokies, coffee and exchange presents together. Then off to church! What a wonderful way to celebrate Christmas by fellowshipping together and worshipping God.

After that, Andrew and I swung by Starbucks for a quick boost of energy and off to see family! We spent the afternoon with almost all of Andrew's family (excluding one brother and sister in law).

We ended our Christmas celebrations by seeing more family and exchanging presents again at Andrew's parents house the next evening. My sister-in-law gave me the most adorable apron that I will upload in a coming post soon!

Three days of Christmas. A few days off. Andrew had the week between Christmas and New Years Eve off. I had to work that Thursday and Friday. Andrew and I made the last payment on my student loans (HURRAY! ---I had to slide that one in---). We had friends over for New Years Eve. Lots of fun, laughter, and food. We socialized and played games (Taboo and CatchPhrase) into 2012. Oh, and guess what, the next day was a Sunday and we were back at church with only a little sleep but hearts full of thankfulness for the blessings God has given us. Lord Jesus, thank you for a year full of your faithfulness. Please, bless our new year and fill us continually with your hope, faith, grace, glory, and love.

Happy New Year Everyone!







No comments:

Post a Comment